Donate Used Hearing Aids
Did you know that by donating your used hearing aid, you can help others to hear? If you or a loved one has a hearing aid that's no longer in use, donating it can help others to hear.
All hearing aids, regardless of age, model, make, or condition, may be donated to the HEAR NOW Program, a division of the Starkey Hearing Foundation.
The Foundation's mission is to help hearing-impaired populations throughout the world to hear better. Your donation helps to underwrite the Foundation's domestic efforts in providing free hearing devices to those who need them most.
In 2006, 35,585 hearing devices were donated to the program. Hear Now program collection sites were responsible for 76.9% of those donations. What a wonderful gift this is to help the Starkey Foundation as it provides hearing devices to individuals throughout the country.
We encourage hearing device wearers and their loved ones to consider donating the instruments once they are no longer in use.
Donors also are eligible for a tax benefit if they itemize donations on their taxes.
Participation in the Hear Now Donation Program
- It is the donor's responsibility to determine the value of the
donation. The tax benefit is only available for those donors who
itemize deductions on their tax returns. Those who take the standard
deduction receive no additional tax benefit. Only contributions
made during that previous tax year are eligible for tax benefits.
- The tax law allows a deduction for the fair market value of the donation. The IRS reminds donors to maintain records of their donation to substantiate the value of their gift.
- Taxpayers can find assistance regarding the donations they
make in Publication 526, Charitable contributions. A second
reference, Publication 561, Determining the Value of Donated
Property, answers many questions that donors may have when
they make non-cash contributions. Both publications are available
at the IRS website, www.irs.gov, or by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM
(1-800-829-3676). To help you determine the value of your donation,
you can use a five year, straight line depreciation (see formula
- Divide the original cost by 5 to determine yearly depreciation.
- Multiply the yearly depreciation by the age of the aids.
- Subtract that figure from the original cost to determine the remaining value.
- All donations for a tax year must be postmarked no later than December 31 to receive tax benefits for the next filing.
- Print out the Hear Now donation form and complete it.
- Place the hearing aids in a padded box or padded envelope for shipping. Include the completed form from step 2.
- Label the box or envelope: HEAR NOW donation. Include your name and address inside the package.
- Ship to: 6700 Washington Avenue S., Eden Prairie, MN 55344
- You should receive confirmation of your donation approximately 7 weeks after your donation has been sent.
Thank you from all of us at the Starkey Hearing Foundation. Together, we're
providing hearing aids to those who cannot afford them.